Hello? Does this thing still even work?
It's been a insanely long time since I updated this little old blog of mine and now, with two weeks left of maternity leave, I've decided it's high time I revisit this side project of mine. A lot has happened since the blogging hiatus, the most eventful being we had a baby! Flynn joined our wolf pack in July, and we're smitten with his chubby cheeks, head full of fuzz, and chill personality. While I don't plan to plaster his face and life milestones all over this space on the web (although, let's be real--that would be the best way to get my mom to read), I thought it was only fitting to mark my triumphant return to the blogosphere with a post about his nursery.
Flynn's room is our old guest room, and we had to finish our basement before we could begin the makeover so we could move the spare bed downstairs into a new guest room. John worked his tail off from January to May to make that happen (stories on that to come in future posts). Since I couldn't really dig into Flynn's room until June, I channeled my nesting instincts into the planning process to make myself feel better. While the plan evolved a lot in these past few months, where I landed can best be described as Wild Geometry. Otherwise known as animals and shapes.
1] Because the two bedrooms in our small home are relatively big, I knew I wanted Flynn's room to serve as more than just a place to sleep. It also needed to be a place where we could store and have room to play with his toys so the rest of our home wouldn't become overrun with stuff. Storage was a must. I toyed (pun intended) with the idea of building some sort of toy storage, but then I came to my senses and realized a couple of these bins from the Target Pillowfort collection would do the trick.
2] More laundry was most definitely in our future. I loved this hamper from The Land of Nod, but I wasn't jazzed about the $89 price tag so I decided to hit up discount stores to find something similar.
3] I inherited a blush pink rocker/swivel chair from my Grandma's 1990s living room. While I actually really liked the color for a girl's room, I decided a more neutral color would be better for the long haul so I made plans to have it reupholstered.
5] The mobile was something I really wanted to make myself. The mobiles in this Etsy shop served as my inspiration. More info to come on my version.
6] The Babyletto Hudson crib and mattress were gifts from John's parents and were the very first things we got for the room. Even though they sat in their boxes for several weeks while John finished the basement, it brought me great comfort knowing we at least had these two items as my due date quickly approached.
7] I wanted an ottoman like this to go with my chair, but I didn't want to pay the West Elm price so I decided to make one. That's still a work in progres!
8] I found a midcentury-style side table similar to this one on clearance at Target.
9] While I wanted to keep most everything fairly neutral in the room, a rug seemed like a fun way to bring in some color and fun. While the thousands of choices on Rugs USA can be overwhelming, I finally settled on this colorful and quirky rug that I was able to get on sale. Actually, I think this was technically the first thing we got for the space.
10] The room had super dark gray walls that I loved for awhile but had grown tired of so I went with the opposite--a creamy white (SW Alabaster)--to lighten the space up.
11] I'd read that it's wise to have at least two crib sheets and mattress covers in case you have a middle-of-the-night blowout and need to change bedding. I waffled between neutral and colorful, but decided to do both in the end. The blue one hasn't made its way into my cart yet. We'll see if it's necessary once Flynn actually starts sleeping in his crib.
12] I've long been a fan of the books-as-art idea in kids' rooms. I found some clear acrylic shelves to make a wall of book "art," and it's seriously one of my fave things.
13] One of the perks of my magazine editor job is the product previews. York Wallcoverings came and gave us all coupons to purchase wallpaper at a steep discount. I fell so hard for the Congo Line animal paper that it inspired a subtle animal theme for the room. The textured walls meant wallpapering a whole wall impractical, but I decided a DIY panel project would be a way to get a little bit in without having to smooth the walls for wallpapering. More on this to come.
14] My aunt graciously offered to make changing pad covers and Boppy covers and she let me choose the fabric. I picked out black-and-white geometric prints for the room.
15] Instead of a traditional changing table, we decided a wide dresser with tons of storage space would be more practical for the room. I toyed with the idea of hacking an IKEA piece, but I eventually found a vintage midcentury dresser to use instead.
The room is currently about 85 percent done. I'm still working on a couple projects to finish it up, and I better get cracking before maternity leave ends and all hell breaks lose--ha! I'll share final photos and more info about some of the projects in the coming weeks. My goal is to keep the content coming. After a two-year break, there's a lot to talk about!